Wednesday, September 27, 2006

"an infinite capacity for not knowing what can't be done"

A speaker I once heard quoted Henry Ford as saying, “I’m looking for a lot of men with an infinite capacity for not knowing what can’t be done.” I love that thought! The idea that we can accomplish what someone else thinks impossible.

Maybe I like it so much because God is always sticking ideas in my heart that other people scoff at. Maybe I like it because it reminds me that I’m not the only one who’s not satisfied with status quo existence. Ford basically stated what he was going to do and gave people the chance to join him or mock him. "I’m going to do what’s ‘impossible’ – want to help?" Most of us drive the mass-produced results of his undefeatable attitude.


But there’s a bigger picture for us. Today, God is at work in the world doing the impossible. He’s transforming self-absorbed, self-righteous individuals into a community of faith, hope, and love. He’s turning people’s attention from themselves to their neighbors. He’s changing my focus from what I want to what others need.

You might expect me here to say that He’s doing it in the church and you should attend more often and be a part of it…But that’s not where I’m going. God’s not just at work in the church – He’s at work everywhere in the world around us. Volunteerism isn’t just something that a few ‘extra-nice’ people do anymore. Students no longer do community service because they broke the law. And they don’t just do it because they have to get some credits to graduate, either. They do it because they want to help!

Unfortunately, many adults have turned their blindside to youth. They’d rather believe the status quo that youth are always getting in trouble and disrespectful. But God is at work in the youth of today, and He definitely has “an infinite capacity for not knowing what can’t be done.” Do you? Then work with God to build future generations.

No comments:

Post a Comment

weblogUpdates.ping theoquest http://www.theoquest.blogspot.com/