Friday, March 30, 2007

What could be...



"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them become what they are capable of becoming." -Goethe
In youth ministry, and every other way of life, it's critical to be able to see past what is into what could be. It's so easy to label each other based on what is seen. But what if we were able to look past the shells we wear, the plastic faces we hide behind, and the mistakes we've made? This is what God does, it's what Christ modeled for us. With an impetuous man named Simon, he even changed his name to Peter (rock) to reflect what could be.

What could be for the people in your life? What potential are your friends falling short of? What if you treated them as if they were reaching that potential?

I wouldn't agree with Goethe on every line of thinking he ever explored, but this is truly a great thought.

1 comment:

  1. I have a friend who is SO GOOD at this... He sees the potential in others. He dreams big for them. And it's amazing. To be on the receiving end of that... to know that he sees more in me than I see in myself... is such an encouragement to me. If only I could learn to see people in the same way. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

weblogUpdates.ping theoquest http://www.theoquest.blogspot.com/