Thursday, January 03, 2008

"When Opportunity Roars..."

I finished reading Mark Batterson's "In a Pit With a Lion on a Snowy Day" recently. The book recounts the Biblical story of Benaiah, mighty warrior/lion chaser/bodyguard/military commander. The gist is that Benaiah seized an incredible opportunity that most sane people would have run from - he chased a lion into a pit on a snowy day, killed it, and was greatly rewarded in life as a result. Instead of running from difficult circumstances and seeking safety at all costs, we can learn "how to survive and thrive when opportunity roars" - the subtitle of the book.

One part of the book that really stuck out for me (besides the title) was the chapter on "Unlearning Your Fears". Batterson pointed to psychiatric research suggesting the only two fears that are inate to man are the fear of falling and of loud noises. Every other phobia is learned - AND can be UNlearned.

Lion Chasers (those who are able to turn difficult circumstances into rewarding experiences) have learned to face their fears. The key to this unlearning is to have a renewed mind, retooled into the mind of Christ (which is brought about through a consistent diet of Scripture). When I find my security and my very identity in Him, what is there to fear? When I know that I am acting on His thoughts and dreams, what circumstances can shake my resolve?

I like books that ask "what if?" questions. This is one of those books.
"What if the life you really want, and the future God wants for you, is hiding right now in your biggest problem, your worst failure... your greatest fear?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

weblogUpdates.ping theoquest http://www.theoquest.blogspot.com/