Monday, October 11, 2010

Renovating Reality (pt. 2)

In part 1, I wrote about not liking to work my butt off for only small changes - I'd rather pour myself out in an effort at wholesale renovation. I definitely lean to the wholesale change side of the chalkline.

I'm realizing how that can cause some tension with people who have to work on the same team with me. What if they like to put that last little bit of polish on a project? What if they really value the minor detail that I completely ignore? What if their comfort comes from the familiar piece of life that I'm suggesting we blow up to start fresh?

A recent examples come to mind:


We had a staff discussion last week about something where my first reaction is to start over. We were evaluating something that's been in place for almost 25 years (and has served the congregation well much of that time). My thinking is to start fresh, while others may lean toward a little tweaking and re-emphasizing and explaining. To me, the amount of effort that needs to be poured into this project makes more sense if the final outcome is something other than the original starting point. It's not that there's anything wrong with the starting point, it just doesn't make sense to me to break our backs to essentially spit-shine what's already there. (Having said that, I also want to say that I have a great desire to honor the team of leaders with which I work, and if the decision is to revamp rather than renovate, that is exactly what I will work to do.)

I can see the benefit of starting over, but I also want to value people more than I value my own way. I pray that I don't ever buy into my own way more than into the people I am with. There a many ways to get things done. Back to my house... I could have torn down walls and put in brand new windows with brand new frames. That may have even been a better way to go in a couple cases, but the cost of doing so made it necessary to merely paint. So, even though the incremental change is not what I may prefer, the work is getting done, because it needs done.

---------------
"I don't mean to be corrosive,
but this acid in my veins keeps spilling out,
burning holes in what you treasure and your pleasures - 
what you measure - Keep spelling out."
---------------
How have you seen the tension between varying methods of getting things done used to propel your organization/family/church forward?

2 comments:

  1. First thing that comes to mind is Marshall and Cindy cause we're celebrating their 15 years of service. So then I'm wondering if we try to revamp Marshall or start over with him. Yeah, wasn't working out! I am interested to know what you're referring to though. Small groups? I've been thinking, where do we go from here? What's our next step toward serving others, our community, etc.? What will we do with what we learned from BOMO. I'm thinking specifically of our group. I don't have the answer, just thinking we need to be leading in that area! May have nothing at all to do with what you're talking about but hey, I just started rambling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Definitely not talking about revamping Marshall, though I do think I overheard something about wanting a makeover at the spa for pastor appreciation.

    Sorry for the confusion Rodd... actually, I corrected what I'd said earlier - it's been in place about 25 years (not 15).

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

weblogUpdates.ping theoquest http://www.theoquest.blogspot.com/