Thursday, June 11, 2009

611

When I was 17, my girlfriend was a better saver than I was. I worked at Subway and spent my money on gas and food and her. She had some babysitting jobs and spent her money on... on, uh... basically, she didn't spend anything. Since she had money and I didn't, I borrowed some money from her to pay for a set of rings - yes, THOSE kind of rings! (I know... that sounds so romantic doesn't it?!)

There was no great proposal story - no skywriting or scoreboard watching - not even a down-on-one-knee-in-a-painfully-publicly-awkward moment... just 2 kids that loved each other and knew that they were better together than they ever would be apart.

We got married as soon as we graduated high school (and spent the next couple months in 'thank you' note purgatory) and went to spend the summer alone where we'd be going to college. Thank you God and NCC for on campus married student housing! Lots of jobs were available and we scraped by the first couple months 'til the grants and scholarships came in when the semester started.

That was 15 years ago today. I've doubted and re-doubted almost every decision I've ever made. But the decision to marry LuAnn is one I've never second guessed. I thank God for bringing us together and giving us the courage to embark on a life lived together. It has not always been what we may have envisioned. But it is definitely better together.

15 years.

It's been a great start.

Can't wait to see what's next...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

weblogUpdates.ping theoquest http://www.theoquest.blogspot.com/