Friday, June 10, 2005

Where are we going, Daddy?

Ok, so I've been dialoging with a bunch of people from everywhere over the past couple days about some stuff that is bouncing off the inner walls of my cranium like a bunch of subatomic particles in a bathtub. (I have no idea what that would really look like but at this point...who cares!)

We've been talking about the emergence of technology and how the fusion of personality/humanity/technology has created a new kind of person. This person lives in cyberspace as much as he lives 'here'. How do we use technology like blogs and msn and whatever else is coming down the pipeline to be Jesus in that world?

The question that I asked a couple days ago on this blog is rolling around in all of this too... What defines the church? I've wondered what a church without walls would/should look like for a long time - I'm now seeing one possibility. The self imposed boundaries (masks) that exist in face to face interaction (even in the church) are often (though not always) set aside upon entrance into the 'blogosphere'.

I know, I know, there are definite dangers present in the anonymity of cyberspace, but can you imagine how deeply we could connect with each other when we lay aside all pretense? And in drawing near to each other with intent to draw nearer to God, how we could strengthen the community of the Kingdom?

This stuff may make absolutely no sense to you, but I hope you'll consider this: the world is plugged in as never before. If we are going to be "Jesus with skin on" in this world, we'll have to be "Jesus in binary...or html...or java...or pdf...or...you get the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

weblogUpdates.ping theoquest http://www.theoquest.blogspot.com/