Friday, August 07, 2009

coldwater in 5, 4, 3...

I'm really excited for next week's mission trip to "somewhere". There is something about jumping into the unknown in order to serve God by serving people He loves that has always appealed to me. I don't want to have all the answers. I don't want my life to be all orderly and tied up with a nice little bow.

It's been fun to explain coldwater when people ask where we're going. "We don't know yet." is my usual response.
"Oh... don't you think you should decide pretty soon?"
"We'll know on Monday!"
"Oh... when are you leaving?"
"Monday."
"ummm.... uh....."
"Exactly." [By the way, yesterday, we found the spinner that will be used to determine which direction we travel - it's from a Mickey Mouse game my kids have!] We are counting on God to get us where He wants us to be...

Yes, I'm aware of the random nature of a spinner and drawing numbers out of hats. But I wonder if the nature of discipleship is less ordered than we might think? I wonder if we've lost our awareness of God at work in our haste to meet Him "at church" once a week? (sidenote - What a stupid phrase: "at church" - church is not a place!) When Paul ended up in Macedonia, was it because everything went according to plan? Or did He notice God wanting to do something else, and faithfully respond to His Spirit? Not just for this trip, but for life, may we be so responsive to the leading of the Spirit of Jesus.

Please be praying for Sam, Andrew, Micah, Jadie, Ashley, Greg, and I - the coldwater team. We want to humbly serve wherever we can. I'll try to keep things updated here next week and let you know where we're going and what we're doing - if we end up somewhere with service! Also pray for parents and families of those of us going - we'll try to keep you as informed as we can.

1 comment:

  1. I look forward to hearing all about it! And I'll try to remember to stop and pray for you everytime I get a twitter update.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

weblogUpdates.ping theoquest http://www.theoquest.blogspot.com/